Dan Bursey is convinced that one song can make a difference this Christmas, and he wants you to help him prove it.
When Bursey, a singer/songwriter from Lewisporte, Newfoundland, finished producing a new Christmas song, “Hallelujah Carol,” he wanted to do something different to release it. He decided to sell it on his website and donate all the proceeds to fund a water filtration system for a school on the Thai-Burma border. His goal: $2,500.
“I wondered if there was something I could do with the song to make a very practical difference,” said Bursey. “I have a connection to people who work in the schools along the border and I’m aware of the tremendous need, so it made sense to raise money for a project there. It doesn’t take a lot of money to drastically improve the lives in an entire community.”
His connection is with Imagine Thailand, a non-profit organization with Canadian roots that works in Thailand to assist victims of terror, tsunami and cyclone survivors, and refugees fleeing oppressive governments. The organization supports children who have come to Thailand to flee the violence and economic hardship in neighbouring Burma.
Bursey describes his song as “a rootsy acoustic song that’s reminiscent of the traditional carols, but gives the listener a fresh take on the classic Christmas Story.” Bursey is confident he can reach the goal of 2,500 people purchasing the song on his website, www.danbursey.com, between now and December 24.
“We get excited when people like Dan come alongside us and these children,” said Cavelle Dove, also originally from Newfoundland, of Imagine Thailand. “We are all about encouraging people to make a difference in their world--whether it’s a widow in a refugee camp, a university student in Bangkok, or a musician in Lewisporte.”
Six ways to be involved:
- Go to Dan’s website, www.danbursey.com, and be one of 2,500 people to download the single “Hallelujah Carol” for $1.50. All of the proceeds from the sale of the single go towards the purchase of a water purification system for school children in Thailand (PayPal's fees make up the difference in price).
- Check out www.imaginethailand.org to see first-hand how this organization is making a difference.
- Email 10-15 of your friends that you think would like the song, and tell them about how they can be a part of this too.
- Add the following to your Twitter/Facebook/Myspace status:
“Can one song provide clean drinking water for a whole community? I say yes! Go to www.danbursey.com to find out how.”
- Add Dan to your Twitter account (@danbursey) so you can be updated regularly on how close we are to our goal.
- Make the song a part of your Christmas playlist for years to come.